Sunday, August 16, 2009

Pesto


I plant basil every spring, and I have tons of basil all summer. My husband loves mozzarella caprese salad, and I make that often. I grow tomatoes in pots, and I get enough for salads but not enough for canning. This morning I decided to make some pesto. I will use some of it tonight or tomorrow on grilled chicken or pasta, and I will freeze the rest. The other thing I do with basil is to grind just basil and olive oil in the food processor. I freeze it in ice cube trays. Then in the winter, I add a cube to spaghetti sauce, soup, or a dish that I am making that could use some basil.

This is the pesto recipe that I use:

2 cups of fresh basil
1/2 cup grated parmesan or romano cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper

Blend all ingredients in a food processor. It's delicious!

2 comments:

  1. I love your ice cube tray idea! Brillant!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. e this idea and can't wait to make it. Thanks so much for sharing.

    I just found your blog and love it. I read several of your posts and signed on to follow you so I could read more. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete